-
January 6th, 2005, 09:06 AM
#2101
Senior Hostboard Member
Yeah, and thesedays, the big RPG names such as Xenosaga and Final Fantasy seem to be underachieving (although this requires personal confirmation in places). While last year was definitely the year of the FPS, the year of the RPG doesnt seem to be coming back too soon, at least not for western gamers.
You never know though, Namco may end up throwing some of these Tales titles towards the US, and while there isnt a chance in hell that they'll be received in europe, at least we'll be able to import and play the games in english.
-
January 6th, 2005, 10:16 AM
#2102
Senior Hostboard Member
IRT Wiseman WRT Outcast: Yeah, that1s the one. I played it for a far long time, it was hard to figure out all the stuff. And I got pretty far as well, but I couldn't go further ion a part, where were like 10 enemies attacking me. Maybe now, that I know english a lot more than I did 5 years agao, I'll be able to finish it. And agreed, worth trying!
-
January 6th, 2005, 11:50 AM
#2103
HB Forum Owner
IRT Cata: I'm starting to wish there were fast, numerous unreleased games fansub teams like they are for anime. If the game is generic enough (and in modern games, it's more likely to happen), they can be translated without that much hassle. Maybe we should campaign for more people to join DeJap and dejapanese games for us.
The ?1. Dejapanese; 2. Download; 3. Get the fucking product released 4 years after; 4. Buy if you liked? model seems to work with anime, it could work with games too, especially now that hardware evolution has naturally slowed down.
IRT Dreamer: You rarely have to face that many soldiers, you probably ran into them; you have to be sneaky, watch them, lure them, snip them, kill them one by one.
-
January 6th, 2005, 12:05 PM
#2104
Senior Hostboard Member
Well, some good rpg will be out later this year. For example K.O.T.O.R.2, dungeon siege 2, the witcher, the bards tale, and I hope Jade Empire as well. I hope you know this games guys.(For Phaq: in Hungary, Kotor 2 isn't out yet)
-
January 6th, 2005, 12:08 PM
#2105
Senior Hostboard Member
IRT Wiseman - I see what your saying, and i think that'd be the best/only way to go about it without having to learn a whole new language. Sadly, it would be too easily confused with piracy, and since the requirements to play an unofficially modified game are already being heavily suppressed in some countries, this plan of action will never come to be.
Ultimately, the only way to play and enjoy a japanese exclusive game is to import it directly from japan, and either spend several years learning japanese, or tediously follow an online translation FAQ (which is about as close as its going to get to your idea).
-
January 6th, 2005, 12:40 PM
#2106
HB Forum Owner
What they do with anime and manga is very similar to piracy as well (and is technically illegal), yet companies consent and benefit from it so they never go after them. If videogame companies realized this model could work, especially with niche products like anime style cRPGs, and they weren't retarded, they would be cool with it. In fact, I'm sure Tales of Symphonia's sales were a little higher thanks to DeJap's work on Tales of Phantasia, which didn't cost Namco a penny.
As for the legal issues on chipping, I hope the EU does something good for a change and writes an European-wide law regarding territorial locks or modifying to allow it; this is starting to suck really big; moronic, foreign companies like Sony seem to have more power than legitimate citizens. (I still think there would be no problem if you imported hardware from Spain or Italy as the guys who actually buy the system, buy the modchip, and install it, are doing it legally; you buy the final product legally too, unless there's a law against importing modified hardware). I've already seen some shops that are starting to specialize in selling chipped new consoles to other countries.
Translation FAQs are useful for action games, but it's hard to follow them for RPGs, dating sims, etc.
-
January 6th, 2005, 07:57 PM
#2107
Inactive Member
ToS is pretty good, actually. At least compared to other current gen cRPGs.
-
January 6th, 2005, 09:46 PM
#2108
Senior Hostboard Member
Admittedly this gen of consoles has been a little quiet for cRPG's. Of course, most of the last gen's RPG's (essentially for the PSX) were released at the end of its life, so perhaps we have a little bit of waiting to do.
Have you played Baten Kaitos yet, Xel? Or were you put off by the card-battle system?
-
January 7th, 2005, 12:53 AM
#2109
HB Forum Owner
IRT Cata: Yeah, there's still a lot to come, and even though we haven't gotten so many hits as in the PSX days, we've got some of the best RPGs ever: Xenosaga, Grandia II, Skies of Arcadia, Star Ocean 3, Final Fantasy X...
-
January 7th, 2005, 01:56 AM
#2110
HB Forum Owner
BTW, I was playing Star Ocean 3 this afternoon when I left the controller to get something to eat; my uncle passed by and took it and started moving around. All he ever plays is card and puzzle games, he had never seen an RPG, so he was kinda lost. He talked to a girl and asked something like: "All I can do is talk to her? Where's the F button?".
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
Bookmarks